Blackheads are small bumps that are on your skin because of clogged hair follicles. They are known as a mild type of acne that are formed on the face. There are various causes of blackheads and these are:
- A lot of body oil production.
- Hormonal changes such as menstruation, puberty or even birth control intake that lead to increase in oil production.
- Consuming drugs such as lithium, corticosteroids and androgens.
- Lack of regular dead skin cells shading causing irritation on your hair follicles.
Blackheads are dark in color therefore they are easy to spot. They are not inflamed like pimples hence they are not painful.
Various ways how to get rid of your blackheads:
Over the counter product:
- First you need to figure out what skin type is whether it is oily, dry or just normal. It will determine what kind of product you should get there the main and common type of treatment s are those with salicylic acid and those with benzoyl peroxide.
- It is recommended to use a product with salicylic acid if you have a sensitive skin which can dry out or get very irritable this is because salicylic acid is gentle on your skin and reduces the chances of your skin peeling or having a redness appearance.
- If you do not have a sensitive skin, then you are recommended to use benzoyl peroxide. It main ingredient helps to break the waxy clog in order to loosen your pores. Although it can be harsh on your skin, it however more effective as compared to salicylic acid.
- It is also recommended to use alpha hydroxyl acid product which includes glycolic acid that is known to be effective at exfoliating your skin as it helps in dissolving and releasing dead skin cells.
- Before using this natural ingredients, it is recommended to consult your dermatologist for consultation.
Homemade treatment using natural ingredients:
- Try using an egg white mask because it is known that the protein in the egg is known to kill the bacteria that causes acne. In order to make a face mask, you need to separate the egg white from the yolk and then dry your face and apply the egg white your skin. To do this, use a clean cloth and when the first egg layer dries, you can add another. Ensure you repeat this around 5 times and make sure that each layer dries first before you apply another layer. Afterwards you can wash it off dry your face with a clean cloth.
- Try using warm honey because it has anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties which will help in healing skin infections and wounds. Its stickiness is known to bind and remove the blackheads.
Homemade remedies while using artificial ingredients:
- It is recommended to apply a highly diluted boric acid that is mixed with water. Boric is known to be a mild acid that can be bought at any pharmacy. To make the mixture you need 1 ½ cup of hot water as well as boric acid powder and then mix well. Afterwards, take a clean cloth and dip in the solution and then place it on your skin. Leave there for about 20 minutes.
- Try using Iodine and Epsom Salts because this technique can help to remove oil and dead skin calls from your pores. Epsom salts is known to be a very good skin exfoliant. Take a teaspoon of Epsom salt and a few drops of Iodine and mix it all in half a cup of hot water. Ensure that you stir well until all the salt has dissolved and then apply to your face using cotton balls and let is dry. Afterwards, wash your face and then dry it.
Steaming and other methods:
- Instead of squeezing you’re your pimples, try steaming your pores which will help loosen your pores. Blackheads are known to be sticky and therefore they will not come out easily but using this method, it will take effect within no time. Leave your face a foot away on the steam for about ten minutes.
- You can also try using a comedones extractor which is highly recommended by dermatologists helps in removing blackheads. It quite easy to use and less risky in damaging your skin.
- You can also try pulling out your blackheads with special blackhead strips. Tis technique is a temporary fix, usually used in cases of emergency.
- As hard as it may seem, it is advised that you don’t squeeze the blackheads because it can cause an infection and an inflammation which will eventually come back.
Use of medical treatments:
- It is recommended that if they persist to visit a doctor who will be able to examine your skin up close and prescribe the best treatment for you. Your doctor may prescribe comedolytic which will help unclog your pores and it is known to reduce the bacteria that plays a huge role on your acne and it also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- For those with serious cases, the dermatologist may also prescribe oral antibiotics along with topical treatment.
Read more: Know How to Care About Your Face
Below are a few tips to take into consideration:
- Make sure you wash your face twice a day using a gentle soap that is in the morning and just before you go to bed.
- Try not to squeeze the blackhead because you could make it worse.
- Always make sure your hands are clean and try not to touch your face with your hands.
- Make sure you use a good exfoliating scrub but if you have a sensitive skin then avoid it.
- Always keep your hair clean and make sure that your hair does not touch your face because grease from your hair could touch your face and clog up your pores.
- Keep your nails short and clean order to prevent bacteria transferring from your hands to your face in cases when you are trying to pop out the blackheads.
- Try to change your pillow cases frequently which will help in preventing future breakouts.
- Try using an oil free moisturizer which will not block you pores.